So, it looks like I'm going to be starting up again tomorrow--putting my reel update into slow-mo until the job is over... So I figured I'd post a bit of what I've gotten up to. I've re-lookdev'd and re-rendered my Bradley tank in a cleaner format (and in Arnold). I've also posted a proper turntable render of the model I created for the short film I worked on last year.
I also have a few process shots of my lookdev of another of my old projects that I'm bringing to completion. I've been using the project to really learn substance painter and designer and the workflow of bringing the textures from that package into Arnold.
Initially, I bring in the normals and displacement and make sure that they're both working together on a neutral (0.18 grey) object.
For the next step, I bring in the roughness and metallicity maps and see which surfaces I need to tweak to get the correct material response in Arnold. My inital thoughts with Arnold with regards to the specular fresnel (reflectance at normal) were completely misguided--as the metallicity is the perfect map to control this parameter.
Just making some minor adjustments to the specular roughness of materials in the shader network.
Plugging in the color map and making an initial render with all the textures on the mesh.
Knocking back the diffuse contribution of the color map to prevent the overexposure on the hand/arm.
Bringing back some of the diffuse contribution and adding scattering to some of the materials which would benefit from it (the worn leather and rough plastics in particular). There will definintely be some more updates coming soon... I definitely want to update this more frequently as I start getting projects ready for my reel.